with charred spring onion & Karen Dudley’s Walnut Chili Crisp Relish (Serves 3-4)
This succulent cut of beef fillet is cooked to perfection and served with charred spring onion and Karen Dudley’s delectable Walnut Chili Crisp Relish – a dreamy combination. This recipe will also work brilliantly (if not better) on the braai.
“The fillet will also be delicious on the braai! Follow the same principles, with a loving squeeze to test doneness, taking care to not overcook the prize cut.” – Karen Dudley
Method of Cooking: Oven or Braai
Effort Level: Easy
Active Time: about 15 minutes
Start to Finish: about 30 minutes
Utensils you’ll need at home:
Roasting tray & non-stick pan or braai grid
Ingredients you’ll need at home:
50ml of oil
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rub the beef fillet in some oil until coated, and season generously with salt and pepper. Place a non-stick pan over high heat, and sear the fillet on all sides until golden, turning it as it colours.
- Place the fillet on a roasting tray, and roast for 6–8 minutes or until cooked to your preference. Give it a squeeze with your fingers at 5 minutes to make sure it is still soft. Err on the side of rareness. Remove the fillet from the oven and let it rest for a good 20 minutes at least.
- Rub 3-4 spring onions in some oil. In that same pan over medium-high heat, or on the fire, sear the spring onions until charred and tender, shifting them as they colour. Slice them into 3cm slices, and stir them through Karen Dudley’s Walnut Chili Crisp Relish.
Note: This entire recipe can be done ahead of time, simply keep the cooked fillet outside of the fridge, and serve at room temperature.
- To serve: slice up the beef fillet to your liking (we prefer thinner slices) and arrange them on a platter.
- Spoon the dressing over the fillet, and add to your Feast table.