With golden tofu, fresh mint, spring onion & Karen Dudley’s Walnut Chilli Crisp Relish (Serves 3-4)
Charred aubergine steaks served with golden tofu topped with fresh mint leaves, sliced spring onion and Karen Dudley’s decadent Walnut Chilli Crisp Relish. Vegan has never tasted so good!
“If you have a fire going, you could grill the aubergine slices for great smoky flavour.” – Karen Dudley.
Method of Cooking: Hob & Oven
Effort Level: Easy
Active Time: about 60 minutes
Start to Finish: about 1.5 hours
Utensils you’ll need at home:
Ingredients you’ll need at home:
150-200ml of sunflower oil
Salt & pepper
Optional (not essential):
50-100ml of cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Slice long slices of aubergine into 1cm thick paddles – evenly sprinkle with salt and set aside to de-gorge for 15 minutes.
- Finely slice about 2-3 spring onions. Rinse, and pick half your supply of mint leaves (reserving some for dessert).
- Dry off the aubergine slices by dabbing off any excess moisture. Brush or rub the aubergine slices with oil until well coated. Place a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pan fry the aubergine slices until golden and almost charred on both sides, turning them as they colour. They don’t need to be completely soft as we will finish them off in the oven. Repeat until all the slices are done.
- Lay the golden aubergine slices out on a baking tray and roast for about 10-20 minutes until soft, turning halfway if necessary.
- Before serving, slice the tofu into wide slabs, about 1½ cm thick. Carefully roll the slices in the cornflour (this step in optional). Heat enough sunflower oil in a pan to cover the base of the pan, and place over medium heat. When hot, shallow fry the tofu over golden, turning the slices as they colour. Remove the slabs from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
- To assemble: Lay out the grilled aubergine slices on a platter. Top each slice with the fried tofu. Spoon some of Karen Dudley’s Walnut Chilli Crisp generously over the tofu. The chilli oil is where all the flavour is! Scatter over the spring onion and mint leaves.
- Serve on your Feast table.