Crispy crumbed aubergine steak with Funki Fungi creamy mushrooms sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Slice an aubergine lengthways into 2cm thick steaks, and sprinkle each side liberally with salt. Put into a colander and place it in the sink for 15 minutes to draw out the bitter taste of the eggplant.
- Rinse the steaks and arrange on a clean absorbent kitchen towel. Top with another clean dish towel and lay a baking sheet on top. Place a heavy pan on top to thoroughly dry for at least 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with tin foil and spray with nonstick spray or a drizzle of oil.
- Prepare your dipping stations: one shallow dish of ¼ cup of flour seasoned with salt, one bowl with ½ cup of milk or oat milk and 1 teaspoon of corn flour mixed together, and one shallow dish with 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip the aubergine steak into the flour, then milk/cornflour mixture, and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange on the baking sheet and drizzle with a little oil and season. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad of baby spinach and ‘cooked’ marinated mixed vegetables.
Slice up some mushrooms. Finely slice some thyme and grate some garlic. Place these ingredients in a pan with a generous blob of butter/drizzle of oil. Panfry until soft.
Mix some flour with a bit of water to make a paste. Add to the pan along with some milk/oat milk, stir until well-combined and thickened. Season well.
Serve with roasted potato wedges and a simple salad.