Sweet, spicy and sour, this delicious mango curry is a Sri Lankan favourite. Simple to make and packed with great depth of flavour – like any good curry should.
- Wash and cut the mangoes into strips, so that all the mango pieces are roughly equal in size.
- Heat coconut oil (or any neutral oil) in a large non-stick saucepan. Add a sliced onion and sautée for a few minutes until softened. Add two cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of the Taste the Paste Sri Lankan curry paste (or your favourite curry paste) for a few seconds until you can smell the spices.
- Once the content on the pot has cooked through, pour in ⅓ cup of water and sugar. Leave it to cook for at least 10 minutes on medium heat until the liquid becomes thicker.
- After 10 minutes add the mango with salt to taste and leave it to cook until the mangoes turn soft but not mushy and a mouth-watering amber colour, this should take about 20 minutes. Stir gently every 5 minutes.
- Serve it by itself, with rice or a traditional Sri Lankan hopper.
Sri Lankan breakfast will almost certainly include some type of curry. A savoury breakfast is not a novel concept.