Spatchocking your chicken is a great idea – you get much more golden crispy skin, and you’ll reduce the cooking time too. Here are some quick and easy marinades to take your chicken to the next level.
- Place the chicken on a board, breast-side down, and grab a pair of kitchen scissors. Locate the chicken spine, and cut down one side of the spine and then the other – then remove the spine ( you can reserve it for some chicken stock, if you like). Gently open up the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Flip the chicken, and gently press on it to break the breast bone so that it lies flat. Pop onto a roasting tray.
- Smother the chicken in the marinade of your choice (see suggestions below) and season with more salt. Cover and allow to marinate for an hour or so.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roast the spatchcock chicken for 40-50 minutes until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through. Serve with some rice, salad or some beautiful roast veggies of your choice.
- Whisk together some spicy soy dressing, dark brown sugar, peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger, finely chopped garlic, sesame oil, and ground black pepper.
- Chop some fresh coriander and grate some garlic. Combine some olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, coriander, fresh chilli (if you like some heat), beer, cider or apple juice.
Lemon and Herb Marinade:
- Roughly chop some fresh herbs of your choice. Peel and grate some garlic. And zest a lemon.
- Then, in a bowl, combine a generous amount of softened butter and olive oil with a combination of herbs, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and a sweetener of your choice.
Use the bones and carcass to make a delicious and nutritious chicken stock.