A hearty Mexican-style topping with a healthy sweet potato base. Party on the top, business at the bottom.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Halve your sweet potatoes, coat in olive or coconut oil, and bake until tender but not fully cooked – about 20-25 minutes.
- Place a pan with oil on a medium-high heat, and cook half a chopped onion until softened. Add two cloves of grated garlic, a finely chopped and deseeded chilli and 1 tablespoon of paprika and cumin (or spices of your choice). Cook until fragrant, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Once the spices start sticking to the bottom of the pan, use some hot water, wine or stock to cook them off and mix them with a wooden spoon.
- Add some finely chopped carrot and cook until al dente – then, add some roughly chopped mushrooms. Cook for a couple minutes more.
- Add in half a tin of chopped tomato, and a teaspoon of your preferred sweetener, to the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste
- Add some roughly shredded swiss chard and stir until wilted.
- Place equal quantities of the mixture onto either side of your halved sweet potatoes and top with your choice of cheese. Return to the oven until the sweet potato is cooked through and the cheese is all shmelty.
- Serve with fresh chopped coriander sprinkled on top, and a dollop of pesto. So good!
Top with a spoon of Gaia’s ruby kraut (or any kraut) for added health and deliciousness.