This warmly spiced roast chicken is utterly delicious!
- Position your oven shelf to the bottom third. Then, preheat the oven to 190°C. Wedge a lemon, peel and wedge an onion, peel and smash 3 cloves of garlic and remove the leaves from a medium sprig of rosemary.
- Place the onion, lemon wedges, garlic cloves, rosemary sprigs and roughly chopped sage into the cavity of the bird – distributing all the elements evenly throughout. Place the chicken in a deep roasting dish.
- Mix 50g of softened butter with 2 tablespoons of curry paste, and salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer of the curry-butter on the outside of the chicken. Wedge another lemon, squeeze the juices over the chicken and pop the remaining wedge into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Roast for about 70 minutes, basting the chicken with the juices from the roasting tray every 20 minutes or so. Roast until the skin is golden brown and crispy, and the juices from the chicken run clear when pierced with a small sharp knife.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes after removing from the oven, before carving and garnishing with fresh, roughly chopped coriander and some more fresh lemon.
Don't throw away any bones or carcass, onion bits or lemon peels – we can make a delicious and wholesome chicken stock with this. Any leftover chicken can go into a hearty soup, or some chicken mayo sarmies.