Serve this tasty hake or tuna with a salad or as the protein for a poke-style bowl!
- Decide whether you are using tuna or hake for this bowl.
- Remove the skin from your hake and set it aside (optional). Slice the hake or tuna into bite-size cubes and place into a bowl. Zest and juice 1 lemon straight onto the fish, sprinkle over a pinch of paprika, and season lightly – toss well to combine. Set aside in the fridge while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Peel and finely dice some onion. Peel and grate some garlic. Deseed and finely chop some chilli. Pick and finely chop some coriander.
- Add all the prepped ingredients to the fish (to taste), with a sweetener of your choice. Stir to combine, and set aside in the fridge for 1-2 hours or even overnight. This will cure, or theoretically ‘cook’, the fish – food meets science!
- Optional: Place a pan over a medium heat with a drizzle of oil / knob of butter. Add the hake skin and cook for a few minutes per side until golden and crispy. Drain on some paper towel. Then, roughly chop and season with salt – sprinkle over the ceviche for a bit of crunch.
The longer you leave the fish to marinate, the better the flavour and the more tender the texture of the fish will be.