Roasted spiced Patrysvlei butternut with homemade Umthunzi tomato salsa and pickled onion – easy peasy butternutty!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Make some pickled onion – recipe In a (Good) Pickle under Tasty Tips.
- Cut up your butternut into bite-sized pieces and spread them out evenly over a baking tray. Coat in oil, season with Funky Ouma’s chilli salt. Roast in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Make your fresh salsa by combining some diced tomato, chopped herbs, avo, lemon juice and salt.
- Heat up the tortillas in a pan until warm and lightly golden on both sides.
- It’s tortilla time! Load your tortillas with some roasted butternut, tomato salsa, some pickled onion and a dollop of Fauxmage Chevre (plant-based) or a crumble of Cameot’s feta (Vegetarian) for that creamy layer.
Butternut has high levels of vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene – all antioxidants that reduce inflammation and cell damage. With its naturally sweet flavour, butternut is delicious roasted, steamed, mashed with butter or coconut oil, or even grated and made into fritters!