We get it, some weeknights call for couch sit-ins – a warm bowl on hand, filled with a well-spiced curry, accompanied by fluffy rice or pan-fried rotis to soak up the delicious goodness! This month your Durban Curry-themed Market Box is packed to the brim with only the freshest ingredients to help you put together the perfect rogan josh curry. And with the help of the Indian cuisine foodies at Taste the Paste with this week’s boxes – curry night is just one sleep away – order before 10pm tonight.
Based in Plumstead, Cape Town – Taste the Paste makes authentic Indian korma, jalfrezi, rogan Josh, tikka masala and vindaloo curry pastes made from natural toasted whole spices, fresh herbs and roasted peppers.
On the guiding principles behind her business, owner Meagan Nicole, explains that producing healthy, restaurant-quality products (that cater for various dietary needs) is important to her.
“One cannot exist without food. Not many people can afford to eat out regularly and with the current state of the economy, not many people can eat out at all. This is the motivation behind my company, to have affordable and restaurant-quality food made at home and to be enjoyed by the whole family.” she explains.
The rogan josh curry paste (featured in the recipe below and in this week’s Market Box) is a fragrant blend of garlic, ginger, fresh coriander, paprika, smoked paprika, olive oil, tomato puree, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cayenne chilli, Hirnalavan salt, turmeric, and garam masala.
And as the perfect side to your rogan josh – we’ve added roti from family owned food business – Prashad – to your box too. These delicious flatbreads are made from just five ingredients – flour, water, salt, oil and a lot of love. Prashad provides North Indian and Durban Indian dishes, so you can be rest assured that your Market Box curry night will be as authentic as they get.
Let’s get cooking with Taste the Paste! For more recipes and cooking tutorials tune into Tips ‘n Tricks with Loubie, this Wednesday, on the @ucook.market Instagram feed.
A NOTE FROM THE CHEF:
Taste the Paste’s Lamb Rogan Josh Curry
- Peel, halve and finely chop 1-2 onions.
- Grate 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- Pick some coriander leaves for garnish. Chop up the stalks – keeping them separate from the leaves.
- Put a large casserole-type pan on medium to high heat and add a few glugs of oil. Add the onion and coriander stalks and cook for 10 minutes – until the onions are softened and golden. If you have bay leaves at home, add 2-4 for extra fragrance.
- Add the lamb and a little salt and pepper. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes, then add 1 tin of cooked tomato, 2 cups of stock or water to get the desired consistency and the Rogan Josh curry paste (to taste). Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for about 2 hours.
- Check the curry regularly to make sure it is not sticking to the pan or drying out and add extra water where necessary. When the meat is tender and cooked, taste and add more salt/curry paste only if you think it needs it.
Time to dish up:
Serve your curry with any fluffy rice, some hot pan-fried rotis (in your Market Box), some of Nuru’s veg atchar or a few spoonfuls of various sambals on the side. Sprinkle over the coriander leaves to garnish.